Most pizza franchises saw increased sales throughout 2020 and the first half of 2021, as large-scale COVID-19 shutdowns fueled demand for affordable luxuries that could be enjoyed at home. The pizza brands that profited most were those that maximized the socially distanced customer experience through effective take-out and delivery systems. Another key success factor: making it easy to order pizza online.
The Advantages of Online Ordering
While ordering by phone has long been an option in the pizza industry, today’s market prefers the hands-on experience and visual confirmation of online ordering. Mountain Mike’s has risen to the demand. Where digital orders accounted for just 18.25% of our sales before the COVID pandemic took hold, by the end of Q2 2021 that figure had more than doubled, to 40%.
Online orders can be placed at the MountainMikesPizza.com website or through our mobile loyalty app. The latter, updated and revamped in May 2021, takes orders days in advance and guarantees a “seamless, personalized ordering experience” (says Jim Metevier, President and COO). Pizza lovers can build their own customized combinations online, and watch the final product taking shape.
Our Dedication to Digital Innovation
Other features of the updated Mountain Mike’s app:
- Unique personalized offers based on individual ordering history
- Annual birthday specials
- Ability to send digital Mountain Mike’s gift cards to contacts
- Money bonuses: $5 for initial download of the app, $5 for every referral who also downloads the app
- Free side item on second visit after app download
The app comes with three levels of rewards status:
- Base Camp, awarded at download and/or on first Mountain Mike’s visit in a 12-month year: $5 discount on first purchase
- Mountain Guide, awarded on 5th visit since download or beginning of year: free Small Pizza or Cinnamon Dessert Pizza on next birthday
- Trail Blazer, awarded on 10th visit: points (1.5 for every $1 spent) begin accumulating toward additional offers
Mountain Mike’s continues to keep up with the high-tech age on other fronts as well. We emphasize digitally focused marketing strategies, and we utilize proven third-party delivery platforms. (Third parties come with their own customer bases, further increasing outreach.) Our Brand Reputation/Guest Relations Department makes a point of maximizing guest engagement by responding to 100% of all “feedback” emails.
Mountain Mike’s Continues to Grow
Mountain Mike’s is also growing in other ways:
- Total system sales reached a record $206 million in 2020 and are projected to pass $250 million in 2021.
- At the end of Q2 2021, TSS were up 25.9% in year-over-year comparison to 2020.
- Average unit volume is over $1 million and growing (up from $750,000 in 2017).
- Mountain Mike’s now has over 240+ restaurant locations in four states (over 250 in eight states when in-development locations are counted).
Now is an excellent time for new franchisees, especially in the Western U.S., to join the Mountain Mike’s brand as digital (and other) sales continue to surge.
A State-of-the-Art Pizza Franchise
If you’re considering buying into a quick-service-restaurant franchise, pizza is always in demand and Mountain Mike’s is fast expanding its territory. Having served “Pizza the Way It Oughta Be” since 1978, we still offer pizza lovers and franchisees the best of the traditional and of the new. Check our FAQ page to learn more about the opportunities and application process.